Technical Principal – Dams and Hydropower, Africa Job Description
Position Reports to The position reports to the Function Manager: Hydropower & Dams – Africa
Primary Purpose of Position
The general role of the Technical Principal for the Hydropower and Dams Function in the Africa Division is to provide technical guidance, leadership and support to the Dam and Hydropower business across the Division profit centre by:
• Provide technical leadership and mentoring for the proposed position;
• Supervising and mentoring of staff as well as allocation of tasks and managing the team;
• Ensure all deliverables are properly managed and suitable quality management processes and procedures are implemented;
• Implementing the strategic actions and business plans;
• Ensuring technical, commercial and financial delivery of all Dams and Hydropower projects in the Division.
• Undertaking business development, responsible for growing the Dams & Hydropower function within Africa;
• Initiate, and where necessary support, business development activities;
• Support the broader company initiatives relating to the Dams & Hydropower business;
• Managing Dams and Hydropower opportunities in the division, including EOI and proposal preparation;
• Monitoring the Dams & Hydropower function financial performance, reviewing and managing project manpower requirements, deliverables and expenditure; and
Key Responsibilities As directed by the Function Manager: Dams & Hydropower function - Africa:
• Maintain a high standard of technical support and delivery on projects;
• Ensure tasks and projects are delivered to required specifications as well as agreed timeframes;
• Ensure that quality control measures are maintained, such as project deliverables are reviewed internally at appropriate stages of all infrastructure projects.
• Ensure that all Infrastructure projects are subjected to regular technical audits;
• Share the marketing intelligence with other Divisions Liaise with Regional Managers and other Divisions to ensure appropriate skills are incorporated into multi-discipline and/or shared teams; and
• Coordinate with Regional Managers and other Divisions to optimize resource utilization.
• Maintain an understanding of latest design software as well as design technologies and ensure that the Dams and Hydropower team is trained as well as up to date on the latest technology for implementation on projects
• Market Company’s Dams and Hydropower sector with clients and prospective clients by collaborating with the Regional Managers in each management center;
• Responsible for ensuring that technical reports/proposals for Infrastructure projects are responsive to the client’s requirements and/or Terms of Reference
• Prepare financial proposals with sufficient budgets (fees and expenses) to facilitate the technical delivery of the projects to a minimum acceptable standard, including provisions of Quality Assurance, technical audits and peer reviews, as appropriate;
• Monitor prospective work opportunities, engaging with clients and stakeholders to identify project requirements and ensure that Company's capabilities and track record are recognized before the project(s) are advertised;
• Monitor submitted proposals, ensure that feedback is obtained and used productively to improve future proposals/submissions •
Responsible for ensuring quality, time and cost control throughout project delivery; including acting as or appointing Project Directors for Infrastructure projects;
• Prepare status reports on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis as specified in the BMS; and
• Perform any other duties as directed by the Functional Manager Dams & Hydropower function.
Key Performance Indicators
• Management and integration of technical teams;
• Project delivery and fee revenue for Dams and Hydropower function group in Africa
• New work won for Dams and Hydropower function group in Africa
• Net contribution (Division Dams and Hydropower performance)
• Integration and collaboration with other Company's business units
• Project Audits o Management assessment, quality checks and reviews o Project controls and monitoring o Initiative and pro-active approach to managing projects and staff Key Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Minimum of first degree in Civil/Mechanical Engineering
• A minimum of 15 years’ practical experience in the field of civil engineering related to dams and hydropower infrastructure;
• A good understanding of hydropower/dams infrastructure project implementation and a demonstrated ability to deliver to clients’ satisfaction successfully;
• Demonstrated experience in leading a team of technical resources.
• Ability to communicate (oral and in writing) effectively in English to furnish reports;
• Assist with the preparation of business development materials including proposals;
• Demonstrated experience in societies and cultures within Company's geographic footprint;
• Demonstrated technical and commercial leadership within the candidate’s discipline; and
• Experience working in Africa would be an added advantage.