Senior Charterer Job Description
1. Procure and charter short-term and long-term bulk cargo vessels based on
business requirements and lead commercial negotiations on voyage, COA, TCPs
and related shipping contracts, consulting relevant internal teams (e.g. Sales,
Market Analysis & Planning, Legal, Compliance, Finance, Risk and Operations).
2. Review existing chartering processes and adapt as necessary to manage business
requirements and market environment. Continually maintain as required to manage
Marketing needs and market developments.
3. Collaborate with internal stakeholders to ensure systems and processes are
appropriately set up in line with business requirements.
4. Support the development of Marketing’s chartering and shipping strategy in
support of Marketing’s strategy.
5. Provide freight cost estimates for Sales and Planning’s evaluation.
6. Provide analysis of vessel performance against the TCP to ensure contractual
obligations under are being met, and submit claims and follow up on all disputes
when applicable with Claims and Demurrage Lead.
7. Maintain existing and develop new relationships with Customers, Shipowners,
Shipbrokers and other relevant market participants to maintain a clear market
outlook and to understand counterparties differing views
8. Prepare weekly freight market reports and develop our proprietary view of the
Decision Making Authority
• Front line customer interface with autonomy regarding to the negotiation and
closing of shipping contracts.
• Endorsement and approval authorities as per TOFA/TOGA
Context / Special Features / Challenges
• Responsible on a day-to-day basis for the timely implementation and execution of
freight and commercial transactions to ensure that all obligations arising from the
shipping contract and charter party are met and carried out professionally.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills across all organizational levels.
• Identifying areas of operational and commercial risk in new and existing shipping
contracts, with a track record of successfully implementing changes to limit risk
and increase optionality.
• Able to connect team members to the bottom line and effectively translate business
targets and organization strategies
• Work performed is of a sensitive nature, under high pressure, strict deadlines, high
workload periods, and within firewalls required.
• Requirement to travel to meet counterparts when required.
Close collaboration with Sales and Planning teams to maximize the value-add for
profitable freight operations and minimize the profit leakage from the flexibility and
optionality embedded in the shipping contracts.
Bachelor’s degree in economics, Law, Business Administration or equivalent from
an internationally recognized university. Postgraduate Qualification (MSc. or MBA)
• Minimum of 8 years' experience of relevant work experience, with minimum of 5
years’ experience in Chartering with leading IOC, NOC or reputable shipping
• Strong knowledge of Chartering/Freight Market on a variety of different contracts
across different geographies will be beneficial.
• Ability to leverage on functional support and provide high quality options and
opinions to commercial stakeholders while identifying risks and opportunities.
• A key criterion is to be able to operate within a non-standard environment where
the counterparty requires and expects considerable support and at the same time
be able to gently introduce standardization and efficiency
• Multi-disciplinary knowledge and broad competence is required in areas such as
trading, risk control, sales operations, commercial, financial, contract
administration, legal, economic analysis and projects.
• Excellent negotiation skills, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Top level written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent client and internal stakeholder management skills.
• Ability to take fast risk-based decisions, sometimes based on limited amount of information