Our client, The Embassy of Ireland, wishes to find the right talent to join their organization as the Programme Manager to lead and manage the effective implementation of the Embassy’s development cooperation portfolio including work on climate/agriculture, trade and private sector development, gender and youth, and humanitarian action. The position is based at the Embassy office in Nairobi, Kenya, and covers all four countries of accreditation: Kenya, Somalia, Sudan and Eritrea. The Programme Manager will be responsible for the design and delivery of the Embassy’s new mission strategy and lead on overall accountability requirements.
The Embassy’s role is to deepen bilateral political relations between Ireland and Kenya; serve the needs of Irish citizens; strengthen trade, tourism and investment between our countries and support Kenya’s socio-economic development through a targeted development cooperation and trade programme.
· Candidates must hold a completed post-graduate qualification in international development/relations, economics, and/or relevant field.
· Candidates must be able to demonstrate excellent written and spoken English. Applicants may be contacted in advance to establish language proficiency and a short written language test may be required.
· A minimum of eight years relevant experience working in a senior management role (managing people and complex projects) within a development and/or humanitarian agency nationally, regionally and/or internationally. Preference will be given to candidates with evidence of international management experience.
· Demonstrable experience working in at least two of our priority areas (climate smart agriculture, private sector development, gender equality and inclusive governance.)
· Candidates must have demonstrable experience with budgeting and financial management gained through budget-holding responsibilities.
· Excellent project management experience with proven experience of managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders and taking decisions.
· Experience in building and sustaining strong collaborative relationships, networks and multi-stakeholder partnerships and effectively representing organisations at senior levels.
· Demonstrable experience of leading strategic planning and learning/evaluation processes.
· A sound understanding of the political economy and the socio-economic environment in Kenya, including a clear understanding of the relevant Kenyan development/humanitarian policies and institutional frameworks.
· A proven capacity for delivering timely results and taking responsibility for quality outcomes demonstrating sound judgement.
· A high degree of flexibility and adaptability including managing competing priorities and delivering results at pace.
· Excellent attention to detail and organisational skills.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a small and high performing team.
· High degree of integrity and trust.
· Willingness and ability to travel regularly in Kenya and the region up to 30 days/year.