HEAD OF TRADING
- The Head of Trading will be responsible for developing and expanding the Company’s trading operations in crude oil, oil products, and natural gas.
- The job holder will lead the negotiation, purchase, and sales of crude oil, oil products, and natural gas in the highly dynamic and challenging global crude oil market.
- The jobholder will be responsible for developing and delivering crude trading strategies or equity/lease crude sales strategies with end-to-end ownership of all deals.
- The holder will identify, analyse and implement the best opportunities to monetize hydrocarbon produced from the Company’s assets.
- The job holder will also support the trading function to originate and close opportunities to acquire, trade crude from other producers and support other Commercial functions (Planning and Business Development).
Crude Oil Trading:
- Develop and lead the marketing and trading activities of the department, ensuring that all necessary permits and approvals necessary for the proper running of the trading business are obtained.
- Create a comprehensive market analysis to understand the complex crude markets from either the equity sales or refinery supply perspective.
- Monitor the development of the market, geopolitical events, supply and demand scenario, changes in rules and regulations, new projects, etc. so that trading opportunities can be identified to enable the Company to venture into as many profitable trading activities as possible.
- Create and enhance new business and existing business that will strengthen the Company’s position in the market/the relationship with the clients.
- Decide on the hedging strategies that will limit the downside exposure to the Company; as well as the transactions that should be given priority over others.
- Align the internal organization behind any strategy and negotiate effectively.
- Brief and align the Trading team on a daily strategy based on market analysis.
- Analyse physical and derivatives markets to identify trading opportunities.
- Negotiate and close commercial operations (physical and derivatives) dealing with internal and external clients.
- Negotiate trades with various industry participants, including oil majors, energy companies of all sizes, transportation companies, state-owned oil companies and trading houses.
- Work with relevant departments to ensure all trades are effectively documented and controlled.
- Monitor and ensure the performance of the team members and the execution of the trading transactions.
- Keep up to date on the legal, compliance, and economic issues affecting the hydrocarbon industry.
- Control and market risk management of all operations related to the trading activity.
- Develop medium and long-term business opportunities and a trading plan.
- Manage the Trading team and its activities.
- Plan and coordinate exports/sales with multiple stakeholders (Offtaker, Operations, Government).
- Create, implement, and document processes and procedures for Export in partnership with relevant cross-functional teams.
- Continuously optimize export activities to achieve low-cost and efficient processes for Crude exports.
- Coordinate the process for identifying and negotiating crude offtake and handling agreements with other stakeholder groups, both internal and external.
- Represent the company at stakeholder meetings in respect of exports.
- Regularly communicate business issues, opportunities, commercial risks, and liability to management.
- Manage performance; facilitate development; coach and supervise the team.
- Perform all other duties that are necessary and reasonably attached to the Head of Trading position and the fulfilment of its responsibilities.
- Any other responsibilities as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, Accounting, Finance, or a related numeric field.
- A master’s degree in numerate/ science or an MBA will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 15 years of related energy industry experience, including Commercial Negotiation experience and Refinery Logistics experience.
- Some project and team management experience.
- Independent E&P experience is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies
- Strong knowledge of the end-to-end process of Crude Oil Trading.
- Knowledge of E&P facilities is desirable.
- Strong communication, leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Some experience in commercial function/business development in the oil industry.
- Government/external relationship management.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- JV Partner management and project management.
- Proficient use of MS Office applications (especially MS Office and Excel).
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Strong networking skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to effectively work alone or in groups.
- Ability to work on your own initiative.
- Ability to manage deadlines.
- Accuracy and reliability; highly numerate.
- Adaptable, proactive, sound judgment, and use of initiative.
- Ability to work under pressure and observe contractual deadlines and timetables.
- Build strong relationships with counterparties from varied backgrounds and cultures.
- Integrity and ethics; sound judgment; self-starter with high energy level; detail-oriented; able to handle pressure; proven team leader.
- Ability to display a quality of work that reflects high professional standards and always projects a professional and positive image.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally, sometimes with short notice, 50 – 70% of the time.