Job Title: Certification Expert
Reports to: Agricultural Development Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Ensuring compliance of the whole value chain to the requirements of ISCC EU Biofuels-Certification
Cross-Functional Interaction & Responsibilities:
- Work together with the logistics and production teams to ensure that certified seeds and oil are managed correctly according to certification requirements.
- Maintain regular communication with colleagues at the organization’s headquarters to align on certification requirements and updates.
- Maintain regular communication with suppliers and buyers to ensure a smooth sourcing and sale of certified products.
- Maintain regular contact with the certification body.
Ensure the organization’s suppliers comply with certification requirements by supporting them in the following activities:
- Perform risk assessments using GRAS online tool for wards.
- Ensure proper registration of new farmers with all mandatory documents filled in correctly.
- Label products from non-registered farmers and products from high-risk wards as non-sustainable
- Ensure correct filling and archiving of payment receipts, weighbridge tickets, and transport documents.
- Maintain a product inventory (mass balance) of incoming and outgoing products in Excel.
- Provide training on ISCC certification principles of sustainable farming to farmers, field officers, WAO’s, village heads, and cooperative chairmen.
- Train and inform staff on the sustainability tools adopted by the organization.
- Keep an up-to-date product inventory (mass balance) of incoming and outgoing certified products for the organization.
- Verify the correct filling and archiving of payment receipts, weighbridge tickets, transport documents, and sustainability declarations by the organization’s logistic team.
- Regularly update documents and procedures in the organization’s Sustainability Management System.
- Account for non-sustainable products accurately.
- Organize and manage the audits required for certification.
- Demonstrate stakeholder relations skills, particularly with local communities.
- Perform general management tasks.
- Fulfill any other duties assigned from time to time
- Prior experience in sustainability certification, quality management systems, and/or ISO standards (e.g., Ecocert, GlobalGAP, Fairtrade)
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Natural Sciences, or relevant fields.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar role or field.
- Experience in agricultural and agroforestry development projects, analysis of existing supply chains, and production potential of agricultural biomass for industrial use.
- Ability to design and manage large-scale agricultural and agroforestry interventions.
- Knowledge of agricultural and agroforestry production systems, including contract farming mechanisms and/or agro-industrial initiatives.
- Familiarity with certification processes related to production traceability, sustainability, and calculation of GHG emissions.
- Strong interpersonal skills, teamwork, and management coordination.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Well-connected network of relevant contacts to assist in job performance.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.