Job Title: Carbon Offset Expert
Our Clients are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Carbon Offset Lead. In this role,he or she will be responsible for leading and managing carbon offset initiatives for a major energy company operating in Kenya. The ideal candidate will be the driving force behind the development, implementation, and monitoring of carbon offset projects and strategies to help our clients achieve their sustainability goals.
- Supervise and/or coordinate activities related to Carbon Offset projects (nature and technology based), including, but not limited to, agro forestry and other Sustainable Agriculture Land management (SALM) practices, ecosystem protection and restoration, improved and enhanced cook stoves.
- Support the identification of Carbon Offset opportunities to be integrated into the organisation’s portfolio,according to main Voluntary Certification Schemes (e.g. VERRA, Gold Standard), as per the organisations strategy.
- Collaborate with the relevant stakeholders for Carbon Offset projects (e.g. national and international project developers, and institutional agencies).
Skills and requirements:
- Degree (Master or PhD are a plus) in forestry, biology, agricultural sciences, environmental sciences.Candidates with different educational qualifications, may be taken into consideration when having significant experience in the role
- Knowledge of main Voluntary Certification Schemes, of main regulated schemes (e.g., ETS), and of new standards (e.g. ART-TREES)
- Knowledge of the international context regarding carbon offsetting (e.g., UNFCCC, Kyoto Protocol,Paris Agreement, SDGs, etc.); of the main international funds/initiatives aimed at financing capacity building, in forestry sector, in developing countries; on GHG accounting from AFOLU sector and Natural Climate Solutions as tools for climate change mitigation.
- Knowledge of the national context, including National Determined Contribution (NDC) and of the national REDD+ framework in East Africa Countries.
- Knowledge of processing software (e.g., QGIS, ArcGIS, Google Earth Engine, R).
- Previous work experience in Carbon Offset projects is a plus.
- Ability to collaborate globally in cross functional teams and to communicate internally & externally.
- Show strategic thinking capabilities, and continuous improvement attitude.
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills.
- Knowledge of the English and Swahili language.